The Dark Souls series is known for its many long and complex character questlines. Dark Souls 3 is no exception; the game has many unique questlines for you to take on, and they often impact how the story progresses. Today, I’ll show you two ways to complete the Anri questline from start to finish.
Note: This guide includes spoilers for Dark Souls 3.
Quest details Up Front
Quest Location: Anri’s questline starts at the Halfway Fortress bonfire on the Road of Sacrifices.
Quest Giver: Talking to Anri at the Halfway Fortress bonfire begins the questline.
Requirements: To progress through the questline, you will have to defeat some or all of these bosses:
- Crystal Sage
- The Deacons of the Deep
- Abyss Watchers
- High Lord Wolnir
- Pontiff Sulyvahn
- Soul of Cinder
You will also have to either kill or spare the pilgrim, an NPC who hides in the corner of the Church of Yorshka in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley.
Length: Anri’s questline starts at the Road of Sacrifices area and can go to the end of the game.
Difficulty: Normal. The questline requires several steps, but it isn’t too hard. However, it does require you to defeat multiple bosses, so get ready for that!
Anri is a knight and an Unkindled warrior, much like the player. Anri travels throughout Londor with their friend and fellow knight, Horace the Hushed. They are on a journey to kill Aldrich, a corrupted monster who eats humans and feeds on their suffering. Aldrich tried to kill Horace and Anri when they were young, but they escaped; it is believed that they are the only children to have ever escaped Aldrich’s clutches. Horace and Anri seek revenge for what Aldrich did to them, and they want to prevent him from killing anyone else.
Anri’s questline culminates in either the death of Aldrich or the stealing of the first flame. Anri gifts you with their sword and asks to be left alone if you complete the Aldrich ending. If you look for them, they will attack you, and you’ll either have to kill them or die. Note that the Aldrich ending doesn’t end the game; it only ends Anri’s story. You can also kill Aldrich regardless of whether or not you are pursuing the questline.
The Lord of Hollows ending has you absorbing the first flame and becoming the Lord of Hollows, in case the title didn’t give that away. During this questline, Anri has to die. You perform the Rite of Avowal on their body to get their dark sigils, which you need to take the first flame and end the main storyline. You end up ruling Londor as a figurehead for all the Undead in the land. Unlike the Aldrich ending, this is one of the main story endings.
The Aldrich Ending
The first way to complete Anri’s questline focuses on getting to Aldrich and killing him. To do this, you will have to:
- Beat Crystal Sage in the Road of Sacrifices, then move on to the Cathedral of the Deep.
- Progress through the Cathedral of the Deep and beat the Deacons of the Deep.
- Talk to Anri in the Firelink Shrine and defeat the Abyss Watchers in Farron Keep.
- Talk to Anri twice in the Catacombs of Carthus.
- Find Horace in the Smouldering Lake and kill him, then talk to Anri in the catacombs again. They will go to the Church of Yorshka.
- Kill the pilgrim in the Church of Yorshka and talk to Anri again.
- Defeat Pontiff Sulyvahn at the end of Irithyll. This allows you to move on to Anor Londo.
- Find Anri’s summon sign in front of Aldrich’s boss room and kill Aldrich with them.
Once you do all of that, you can end Anri’s questline by receiving their sword from Ludleth and either leaving them alone or killing them.
The Lord of Hollows Ending
- Get to the Foot of the High Wall, a bonfire in the Undead Settlement area. Find Yoel of Londor and ask him to join you.
- Find Yoel at the Firelink Shrine and level up from him five times. He will eventually die, and Yuria will show up.
- Exhaust Anri’s dialogue at Halfway Fortress and then at the Firelink Shrine after defeating the Deacons of the Deep.
- Find Anri in the Catacombs of Carthus and exhaust their dialogue. Choose these responses: “no”, “do nothing”.
- Speak to Anri in the catacombs again, and then kill High Lord Wolnir.
- Meet Anri again in the Church of Yorshka. Exhaust their dialogue and don’t kill the pilgrim.
- Defeat Pontiff Sulyvahn. See Yuria of Londor at the Firelink Shrine and exhaust her dialogue. She will tell you to go to the Temple of the Darkmoon.
- Go to the temple and get the sword from the pilgrim. Perform the Rite of Avowal on Anri’s dead body.
- Talk to Yuria at the Firelink Shrine again.
- Make your way to the final area and defeat the Soul of Cinder. Touch the bonfire and enjoy.
The Aldrich Ending
- Make your way to the Halfway Fortress bonfire. Anri and Horace are sitting against a wall near some rubble. Exhaust Anri’s dialogue. If you talk to Horace, you can get access to the Blue Sentinels covenant. After talking to them, progress through the Road of Sacrifices normally and defeat Crystal Sage. This will let you enter the Cathedral of the Deep.
- Progress through the Cathedral of the Deep and defeat the Deacons of the Deep. Then, go to the Firelink Shrine. You will find Anri and Horace standing near the thrones where the Lords of Cinder go. Exhaust Anri’s dialogue again, and they will head over to the Catacombs of Carthus.
- Complete Farron Keep and defeat the Abyss Watchers at the end. A passage will open that lets you into the catacombs.
- You will have to talk to Anri twice in the catacombs. First, look for a room with two skeletons with curved swords. In that room, a path goes down into a tunnel where Anri can be seen looking for Horace. Exhaust their dialogue again, then head further into the catacombs.
- Look for a room with a giant wooden bridge. The bridge can be broken and used as a ladder to get down into Smouldering Lake. Climb down, and you will find a room with a Fire Demon, a Mimic chest, and an annoying amount of skeletons. Past these enemies, you’ll find the entrance to the lake. Once you get there, there is a small room covered in water on the right side of the area. This is where you’ll find an angry Horace. Kill him before proceeding to the next step.
- Go back to the room with the wooden bridge and exhaust Anri’s dialogue again. You have the option to reveal where Horace is or to say nothing. They will eventually move on to the Church of Yorshka in Irithyll. Defeating High Lord Wolnir will open the path to the city.
- Once you’ve found the Church of Yorshka, find and kill the pilgrim. She is to the left of the church entrance, near a group of statues. Exhaust Anri’s dialogue again.
- Get through the rest of Irithyll and kill Pontiff Sulyvahn. Once you defeat him, you’ll find yourself in a plaza. To your left will be a staircase that takes you into a courtyard full of giants. At the north end of the area with the giants is a staircase that leads to a massive roof filled with knight archers. Make your way up and look for a circular room with a giant statue (Note: this statue is needed for the second ending to Anri’s questline). This will lead you to an elevator that takes you to Anor Londo.
- In Anor Londo, there’s a cathedral with a big door. You can find Anri’s summoning sign right next to it. Accept the call for help and enter Aldrich’s boss room. Once you kill him, the questline is complete.
After defeating Aldrich, you can go back to the Firelink Shrine and talk to Ludleth. He will give you Anri’s Straight Sword. However, Ludleth warns you not to go after them. At this point, you can either take his advice or hunt and kill Anri. If you decide to kill Anri, they will be in one of two places:
- If you lied about what happened to Horace, you’d find Anri on a hill near the Cathedral of the Deep bonfire.
- If you tell the truth about Horace, they will be in Smouldering Lake, in the room where you killed him.
The Lord of Hollows Ending
- Find Yoel of Londor at the Foot of the High Wall bonfire in the Undead Settlement. You can find him past the skeleton dogs near the bodies of the dead pilgrims. Exhaust his dialogue, and accept his help when he offers to join you.
- Talk to Yoel at the Firelink Shrine this time. He will offer you extra levels for your character. Level up five times. Each level is blocked behind hollowing, which builds up each time you die. The quickest way to get all the levels is to level up once, kill yourself twice (fall damage is easiest), and repeat. Once you do it five times, he won’t offer any more. Refresh the area, and he will be dead. Yuria of Londor will show up near his body.
- Go to the Halfway Fortress bonfire and exhaust Anri’s dialogue. Then, make your way through the Cathedral of the Deep and defeat the Deacons of the Deep. Once you do so, go back to the Firelink Shrine and exhaust Anri’s dialogue again.
- Complete areas as usual until you get to the Catacombs of Carthus. Meet Anri in the catacombs for the first time and exhaust their dialogue. She will ask you questions, and you have to say the following: “no” and “do nothing.” It’s essential that you don’t tell Anri where Horace is before he’s dead, or the questline will end.
- Speak to Anri in the catacombs for the second time. Then, defeat High Lord Wolnir and go to Irithyll.
- Meet Anri again in the Church of Yorshka. Exhaust their dialogue once more, but don’t kill the pilgrim in the left corner of the church.
- Defeat Pontiff Sulyvahn. Before going to Anor Londo, go back to the Firelink Shrine and exhaust Yuria’s dialogue. She will tell you to go to the Temple of the Darkmoon.
- Go to the temple. It is hidden behind a giant, fake statue in the room before the elevator to Anor Londo. The pilgrim will be waiting for you at the entrance. Get the Sword of Avowal from the pilgrim. At the end of the temple is Anri’s dead body. Interact with it to perform the Rite of Avowal and get some dark sigils.
- Go back to the Firelink Shrine and talk to Yuria again. She will ask you to take the first flame.
- Get to the Kiln of the First Flame and beat the Soul of Cinder. Interact with the bonfire in the boss room, and enjoy the ending scene.
The Ring of the Evil Eye: Given to you by Anri during the questline. Allows you to gain health from defeated enemies.
Anri’s Straight Sword: A sword you can get at the end of the questline, either from their body in the Temple of the Darkmoon or from Ludleth in the Firelink Shrine.
Blue Sentinels: When equipped, the Blue Sentinels item will randomly send you to fight invaders attacking players in the Way of Blue covenant. It is given to you by Horace at the Road of Sacrifices.
Quiet Resolve: One of the many gestures in the game. You can get it by exhausting Anri’s dialogue in the Church of Yorshka.
Chameleon: A spell that allows you to turn invisible. You can get it by killing the pilgrim in the Church of Yorshka or on her body in the Temple of the Darkmoon.
Elite Knight Set: An armor set seen in Dark Souls 1 and 3. You can get it by either killing Anri at the end of the Aldrich ending or performing the wedding. Once you’ve done so, the Handmaid in the Firelink Shrine will sell it.
Anri’s questline is one of the more essential questlines in Dark Souls 3, as it directly contributes to one of the main story’s endings. It’s also one of the more compelling questlines in the game, in my opinion; Anri is a pretty popular character, and for a good reason. They are a kind and noble knight who valiantly fights alongside Horace. Amidst all of the tragedy and darkness of the series, Anri is a light that shines bright until the end. I’m always happy to help them kill Aldrich and can never bring myself to let them die; I always end up killing the pilgrim so that we can fight Aldrich together. And whenever I’ve killed them, I’ve regretted it, even if I get a pretty sweet armor set from it.
Question: What exactly is the first flame?
Answer: Oh boy. Okay, let me try and keep it brief. Long story short, the first flame is the fire in the game that serves as a source of power in the series. It provides light in the universe, allows for Unkindled warriors to gain strength, and is the cause of a prolonged power struggle across all of the Dark Souls games. Warriors often go to the fire to link it, sacrificing themselves to keep it burning.
The first flame is a bit of a double-edged sword; by the time of Dark Souls 3, it has been linked so many times that distortions in time and space have started to appear, and the world has fallen into decay. However, if the fire is put out, the world will fall into endless darkness. Not a very happy ending either way, although people generally seem to think that plunging the world into darkness is better than keeping the fire burning. Not sure why.
Question: Is there a way to keep Anri alive past the questline?
Answer: Yes, there is. Anri has to die during the Lord of Hollows ending, so you can only save Anri during the Aldrich ending. Once you help Anri kill Aldrich, simply get their sword from Ludleth and leave them alone. You don’t have to hunt them down. You wouldn’t be able to get the armor, though. I guess the choice is yours.
Question: Does Horace have to die to complete Anri’s questline?
Answer: Unfortunately, yes. If you don’t kill Horace before talking to Anri in the catacombs, Anri goes looking for him in Smouldering Lake and gets killed.
Question: Can I kill Horace or Anri early?
Answer: No. Like any other questline in the game, Anri’s questline requires specific steps to be applied in order. Occasionally, you’ll have wiggle room with how you do things, but preemptively killing the characters will mess up the questline.
Question: Why do you keep referring to Anri as “they”?
Answer: Anri is a unique character in Souls 3 in that they can either be male or female. If your character is a male, Anri will be a female and vice versa. I’ve always known Anri to be a woman, personally. It took a surprising amount of effort not to write she/her everywhere!
Looking for more interesting readings? Check out:
- Ultimate Dark Souls Tattoo Ideas: The Best Ideas Out There
- Dark Souls 2 DLC Guide
- Gaping Dragon Dark Souls Guide
- Dark Souls 3 Greirat Guide