Ambitious street thief turned Master Assassin, Basim is a member of Baghdad’s infamous organization called the ‘Hidden Ones.’ Pickpocketing citizens and running errands for Dervis was not enough for him; he wanted much more from his life. When he joined the ‘Hidden Ones,’ he had a handful of responsibilities, such as eliminating the members of The Ancient Order and mastering the art of using tools every assassin has learned about since Altaïr Ibn-LaʼAhad.
Tools are the ultimate form of destruction in Basim’s arsenal. They aid him in sticking to shadows or striking opponents from above without any worry of death. While there are six tools in the game, and each offers a versatile approach to tackling situations, mastering each one is an absolute must.
That is why I have curated an Assassin’s Creed Mirage tools guide, listing all six tools, upgrade tiers, and best-case usage for each one in the field.
Bottom Line Up Front
If you’re in a rush, here is a rundown of all the tools in Assassin’s Creed Mirage.
- Assassin’s Creed Mirage features a total of 6 tools, each offering a unique opportunity to strike enemies.
- Torch is the first tool that gets unlocked during the intro chapter of AC Mirage.
- The next tool you get to unlock will be after making progress into the story mode, and you will be prompted to unlock Throwing Knife.
- The rest of the four locked tools in the game can be unlocked by investing in Extra Tool Capacity I, II, and III, then visiting Banu Musa brothers located at any Hidden Ones’ Bureau.
- Except for the Torch tool, the rest of the five tools come with Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3 upgrade levels.
What Are Tools in Assassin’s Creed Mirage?
Tools are the go-to equipment options for Basim to kill, distract, disorient, stagger, set enemies ablaze, or even lure them away from a certain position in Assassin’s Creed Mirage. Without these tools, the game’s stealth and combat element will feel heavily underwhelming and, at times, difficult to cope with.
After the first tool, the rest can be unlocked by investing in the Extra Tool Capacity skills in the Trickster skill trees, as seen in the image here. These are some of the best skills in Assassin’s Creed Mirage as they enable Basim to get every tool by accruing a total of 7 skill points.
Except for the Torch, the rest of the tools in AC Mirage come with three-tier upgrade levels.
- Tier 1 has 3 upgrade options: targeting range, increased ammunition, and extended effects.
- Tier 2 upgrades repurpose the tools with alchemical properties, turning each into a deadly weapon.
- Tier 3 always has 2 upgrade options.
Note: Although each tier upgrade offers multiple tool effects to select, you can only select one effect/option per tier for the tools.
Every Assassin’s Creed Mirage Tool Explained
1. Throwing Knife
Throwing Knife is one of the best tools in Assassin’s Creed Mirage for a number of reasons. It is silent. It can kill targets easily with a headshot. Comes with an amazing range, and you can make it more deadly by adding the poison effects after upgrading to tier 1, tier 2, and tier 3 of this tool in the game.
The utility of a throwing knife does not stop here, and you can further maximize its usage after unlocking the Chain Assassination Skill. Once you’ve acquired this skill, Basim will be prompted to assassinate a second target after jumping on the first one, and he throws the knife for a quick headshot.
Throwing Knife is not available from the get-go, and you unlock it as you progress the story, get the required materials, and then will be prompted to meet Banu Musa.
The base stats, without any tool upgrade whatsoever, for throwing knife are:
- Total Ammunition: 4
- Damage: 60
- Range: 18m
Tier 1 Throwing Knife upgrades are:
- Extra Capacity: Gives 2 more knives to use
- Extended Range: Increases max distance from 18m to 27m
- Sharp Blade: Increases max damage from 60 to 90
Tier 2 Throwing Knife upgrades give you the following perks:
- Poison Tip: Inflict Poison status effect on hits
- Heavy Blade: Staggers targets on hit
- Light Blade: Gives charging animation to a throwing knife at a longer distance and deals more damage.
Tier 3 of Throwing Knife offers the following bonuses:
- Corrode Body: Enemy body dissolves and vanishes if killed by a throwing knife
- Armor Piercing: Deals direct damage to armored enemies by penetrating the armor
2. Smoke Bomb
I’ve always loved the idea of Assassins disappearing in the mist after detonating the smoke bombs on the ground, and it is like Batman adopted this flamboyant move from the centuries-old Brotherhood clan. Well, that would be an interesting take if Batman ever references Altaïr Ibn-La’Ahad from the original Assassin’s Creed game.
Even though Throwing Knife takes the cake, for me, Smoke Bomb is the coolest tool you can unlock for Basim in Assassin’s Creed Mirage. The utility of both tools is equally important: a throwing knife is good at picking targets one by one, and a smoke bomb is best at vanishing Basim into thin air.
The best part is not just the base version of smoke bomb that you unlock; the real deal lies in Choking Fumes and Healing Vapor tier upgrades of this tool. You can repurpose the smoke bomb tool not just to act as vanishing equipment for Basim, but it can either heal him or choke enemies to death, depending on the upgrade you equip.
Here are the default stats for the smoke bomb:
- Total Ammunition: 4
- Range: 10m
- Area of Effect: 4m
- Duration: 8s
Smoke Bomb Tier 1 upgrades come with the following options:
- Extra Capacity: Basim can carry 2 more Smoke Bombs
- Extended Range: Increase throw distance from 10m to 17m
- Durable Smoke: Increases smoke duration effect from 8s to 12s
Tier 2 Smoke Bomb tool upgrades have the following selections for you:
- Silent Blast: Enemies won’t hear the detonation of smoke bomb anymore
- Healing Vapor: The smoke cloud turns from red to golden, and Basim regains some of his lost health while remaining inside it
- Choking Fumes: The color of smoke turns poison green, damaging enemies caught in its AoE
Smoke Bomb, after upgrading to Tier 3, offers the following options:
- Mindwipe: Causes a dementia-like effect on targets, making them forget if they even saw Basim before the gas cloud or not
- Flammable Smoke: Smoke bomb detonates with a gas cloud that will set its targets on fire if a fire source is present
Blowdart is probably one of the original tools Assassins started using in the early days of the Brotherhood, and it is back in Assassin’s Creed Mirage as well. While you can always distract enemies using a noisemaker and kill them with headshots by hurling throwing knives, the subtle approach will be to put them in slumber sleep via the Blowdart.
Blowdart on paper may seem like a very simple tool for Basim, but it is a really good one after you upgrade it to tier 3. To make the best tool out of this one, you will want to select Increased Duration from Tier 1, Potency from Tier 2, and Berserker Dart or Deep Slumber from Tier 3. In my 12 hours of experience with AC Mirage, I find this the best tool upgrade combination for Blowdart.
Your targets basically do your bidding when they enter a frenzied state and murder anyone they see. Also, they die after the status duration has elapsed due to the Potency tier 2 upgrade. It is a win-win situation for Basim, who watches the entire scene from a distance and does nothing except blow a couple of Blowdarts.
These are the tool stats you get after unlocking Blowdart.
- Total Ammunition: 6
- Range: 13m
- Duration: 30s
Tier 1 tool upgrades of Blowdart contain the following options to select:
- Extra Capacity: Basim gets to carry 2 more ammunitions of Blowdart
- Increased Duration: Extends the overall effect of the tool from 30s to 34s
- Extended Range: Basim can shoot Blowdart with increased range from 13m to 20m
Blowdart Tier 2 upgrades provide the following perks to select from:
- Cloud Impact: Turns single target effects of Basim’s Blowdart into AoE, impacting multiple enemies in proximity
- Lethal Dose: Targets no longer sleep and are instead applied Poison status effect
- Potency: The lethality of Blowdart increases, and targets won’t be able to come out from sleep. Also, Enraged targets die after the status effect ends.
The Tier 3 of Blowdart has the following offerings:
- Berserker Dart: The inflicted target hit by Blowdart enters a state of frenzy and rage, attacking anyone nearby.
- Deep Slumber: The inflicted target never wakes up from sleep.
Noisemaker is an exceptional noisy tool that can distract enemies guarding a door entrance or blocking your access to a room in Assassin’s Creed Mirage. The best usage of Noisemake is only accessible when you unlock its tier 3 tool upgrades. Terror and Shockwave both have very situational usage, but if you know core mechanics of Assassin’s Creed Mirage, you will appreciate how good this tool is in the game.
Since you can select only one option per tier for tools in Assassin’s Creed Mirage, the Terror is a good pick if you’re in a closed space, and Shockwave is an excellent choice when enemies are near environmental hazards.
Noisemaker tool has the following base stats:
- Total Ammunition: 7
- Range: 10m
- Area of Effect: 2m
- Distraction Range: 15m
- Duration: 1s
Tier 1 Noisemaker tool upgrade includes:
- Extra Capacity: Basim can carry 3 more noisemaker tools
- Loud Fuse: Increases distraction radius from 15m to 19m, luring enemies posted at a distance
- Extended Range: Basim can throw a noisemaker further from 10m to 17m
Tier 2 upgrades for Noisemaker contains the following options:
- Fireworks: Increases the attention span of enemies as the noisemaker makes prolonged fireworks noise
- Weakness: Make enemies prone to incoming attacks by lowering their defenses
- Sparks: Basim can use noisemaker as an incendiary grenade. Enemies caught in the radius will be set ablaze.
Tier 3 upgrades for Noisemake are as seen here:
- Terror: Noisemaker explodes and releases a gas that terrifies enemies, making them escape the scene
- Shockwave: Releases a shockwave that breaks weak walls, objects such as flammable pots, cage locks, and dazes enemies caught in its AoE blast radius
Trap gear is my least favorite tool for Basim in Assassin’s Creed Mirage. When you compare this one with a smoke bomb, throwing knife, and other tools, you will find little to no value in using this tool in stealth. Come in combat, and the Trap tool is a different beast!
I never had any idea how good a trap tool could turn out with Tier 2 and Tier 3 upgrades while fleeing guards who come in from all directions circling Basim like a rat hunting for cheese. Pair Fracture and Lingering Knockdown, and you will have a trap tool that could help you take out 5 – 10 enemies in a single use.
The Trap tool in Assassin’s Creed Mirage has the following base stats:
- Total Ammunition: 4
- Range: 10m
- Trigger Range: 2m
- Area of Effect: 2m
- Duration: 20s
Tier 1 of Trap tool offers the following upgrade options:
- Extra Capacity: Basim can carry 2 more Trap tools
- Increased Duration: Overall effects last are increased from 20s to 40s
- Extended Range: Throw distance is increased from 10m to 17m
Trap tool, after upgrading at Tier 2, has the following upgrade options to select:
- Fracture: All targets caught by the explosion fall to the ground, becoming prone to a killing blow
- Wide Burst: Overall explosion radius is increased significantly
- Whistle Trigger: Trap tool emits a whistling sound, attracting nearby targets before detonating
Tier 3 Trap tool offers the following options:
- Deadly Blast: Still Emits a green gas cloud but replaces the non-lethal detonation with an explosion
- Lingering Knockdown: Enhances the overall knockdown effect on enemies, giving Basim enough time to land killing blows
Torch is a starter free tool that Basim unlocks during the prologue chapter in Assassin’s Creed Mirage. It has limited uses and comes with unlimited ammunition, with a throw range of 10 meters. You may find the torch completely useless after drawing parallels between this one and the rest of the 5 tools. However, a Master Rank Assassin like myself would say otherwise.
The best usage of a Torch is to lighten up a single target by throwing it. This is an early game tip and is very useful until you unlock at least one or two more tools to toy with in Assassin’s Creed Mirage.
Another best-case use of a torch is using it in tandem with Smoke Bomb’s Tier 3 upgrade called Flammable Smoke. Just throw a torch near a group of enemies and quickly throw the Smoke Bomb after to set ablaze everyone caught in its radius.
Tools are vital to shaping stealth and combat in Assassin’s Creed Mirage. If you take them out of the equation, the gameplay mechanics, be it striking from shadows or slashing enemies with sword and dagger, would turn bland and boring quickly. Using one tool is also no fun; therefore, you must always toggle between every arsenal Basim has and maximize the experience in Assassin’s Creed Mirage.
That is about everything I had to entail in my Assassin’s Creed Mirage all tools guide. Pick what you think best suits your playstyle and become the master of it.
Question: How many tool upgrades per tier can you select in AC Mirage?
Answer: Tier 1 and Tier 2 tool upgrades offer 3 options, whereas Tier 3 has 2 selections. Players can go with only one upgrade option per tier, and this applies to all of Basim’s tools.
Question: How to unlock all tools faster in Assassin’s Creed Mirage?
Answer: The fastest way to get all tools in AC Mirage is to accrue at least 7 skill points and get Extra Tool Capacity I, II, and III skills. Once this is done, visit the shop at Hidden Ones’ Bureau, and you will be able to purchase all of the tools.
Question: Which tool in Assassin’s Creed Mirage is best for stealth gameplay?
Answer: Throwing Knife tool is an excellent pick for stealth kills, and a smoke bomb is a versatile tool option for multi-kills in AC Mirage.